Independent advocacy

Someone to speak on your behalf

Some people are unable to speak up for themselves, or feel that others may not be listening to their views and opinions. An advocate can act on your behalf so your voice is heard and your rights and interests are protected.

Advocacy can be used by anyone who

  • has mental health needs
  • has a learning or physical disability
  • is an older person
  • is a carer for someone else.

You can search for advocacy services in your area below.

Mental Health Officers can give you advice on your rights if you are receiving compulsory care and treatment.

You may be concerned about someone at risk of harm. You can find out how to keep them safe.