Legal requirements for a marriage or civil partnership

Everyone getting married must complete a M10 form.

Everyone entering into a civil partnership must complete a CP10 form

Along with this completed form, you need

  • birth certificate
  • passport
  • proof of address dated within the last three months.

If you have been married or in a civil partnership before, you must submit

  • divorce or annulment document
  • death certificate of your former spouse or civil partner.

All documents must be originals. We cannot accept photocopies or scanned copies.

If you are not British

If you are not British you may need to provide a certificate of no impediment (CONI). This is a document from your home country stating you are free to marry.

If either party is subject to immigration control you must complete a Declaration of Immigration Status Form. This form must be accompanied by a passport photograph of each party.

Contact the UK border agency for advice on entry requirements to the UK under immigration rules for marriage and civil partnerships.If any documents are not in English, you must provide a certified translation along with the original documents.

When and how to submit paperwork

You should submit the M10 or CP10 form with all of your documents 6 to 8 weeks before the ceremony. However if you are subject to immigration control, we recommend giving 3 months notice.

The notice forms are only valid for 3 months. Don't hand them in until you are within 3 months of the date of marriage or civil partnership.

All correct fees must be paid at the time of lodging. 

Download fees for a civil ceremony in a registrar's office - PDF

Download fees for civil ceremony outwith the office - PDF

You can submit the forms by post. Send all accompanying documents and fees with the correct postage.

All registrars’ offices use an appointment system if you want to bring them in person.

Religious or belief system ceremony

If your ceremony is being carried out by a celebrant from a religious or other belief system, submit your paperwork to the registrar six to eight weeks before the date of the wedding. You must include the full name and designation of your celebrant.

Download fees for religious or belief system ceremony - PDF

It is up to you to contact your celebrant to arrange the date, time and location of your ceremony.

You need to collect your marriage or civil partnership schedule from the registrar’s office in the week of your wedding. By law, your celebrant needs this to conduct your ceremony.