For most of us, we’re able to manage these difficult times ourselves with support from friends and family. Where this is possible, please continue to do so so we can support those who most need it.
If you don’t have anyone who can help you, we can arrange some help or support if you
- are in the Scottish Government’s ‘vulnerable people groups’
- have received a letter from NHS Scotland as you are at higher risk of severe illness from coronavirus (shielding)
- aren’t in any of these groups but still require support.
You can contact us online or over the phone, and we can help with
- delivering medication
- delivering essential food parcels
- support from a volunteer
- someone to talk to
- tips on staying active.
We can also help with priority supermarket deliveries for residents who are shielding. We can’t help with this service if you haven’t been identified as shielding. Find out more about priority supermarket deliveries on our using the national SMS shielding service page.
You can register yourself, or on behalf of someone else.
If you received a shielding letter, you will be asked to provide your CHI number. You can find it at the top right of your letter - the CHI number is 10 digits long.
We will ask you which vulnerable categories apply to the person requiring assistance. If none of the categories apply, you can still request support.
If you’d like us to pick up or drop off medication, we’ll ask you for information about your GP practice and the pharmacy you want us to go to. You can find a list of GP practices and local pharmacies on the NHS inform website.
You can also contact us by phoning
0131 200 2306
0131 200 2388 if you are shielding.
The phone line is open Monday to Thursday 8.30am to 5pm and Friday 8.30am to 3.40pm. If it’s an emergency, you can phone our out of hours team on
0131 200 2000.
If you’ve received a letter from NHS Scotland as you are at higher risk of severe illness from coronavirus, you can also use our Coronavirus support form if you
- don’t have a mobile to register for the national SMS shielding service
- have registered for the SMS shielding service but need additional help.support for residents who are shielding.
We also have lots of information on our Coronavirus webpages which might give you the advice and information you need without contacting us:
- Supporting parents, children, young people and carers
- Information and advice for council tenants
- Looking after yourself – mental health and wellbeing
- Homelessness services
- Council tax, benefits and welfare advice
- Get help with food and medicine deliveries
- Help and information for people affected by dementia