Apply for an Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA)

You can complete this form without registering or signing in. You will receive an email receipt after you submit the form.

By continuing with this form you agree to the privacy statement below.

Complete this form if you

  • attend a school
  • have an activity agreement 
  • are home educated

within the City of Edinburgh Council area.

Contact your college to apply for an EMA at college.

Please note: This form will time out if you spend more than 15 minutes on a page.

Before you start

We ask for information about your and your parents' finances on this form, so please make sure you have these details to hand. Please read our household income help sheet before starting.

If your parents do not receive tax credits please read the household income help sheet to find out what you need to provide.

You have the chance to upload documents to provide evidence related to 

  • residency status
  • parents' income
  • your bank account
  • benefits and tax credits

so you may want to scan related documents before you start the form. PDF files are best for scanned documents.

If you don't upload the documents here you can send them to us later. 

Privacy statement

We, the City of Edinburgh Council, use the information you provide to process your claim for Educational Maintenance Allowance.

Where allowed by law, we may pass your information to organisations such as

  • the Scottish Government
  • Department for Work and Pensions
  • HM Revenue and Customs

We may check information you have provided, or information about you that someone else has provided, with information we hold.

We may get information about you from third parties, or give them information to

  • make sure the information is accurate
  • prevent or detect crime
  • protect public funds.

These third parties include

  • government departments
  • local authorities
  • private-sector companies, such as banks and organisations that lend you money.

We will not give information about you to anyone else, or use information about you for other purposes, unless the law requires us to. 

We may use your information to identify whether you are eligible for other benefits, such as Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction.

We are the data controllers for the purposes of the General Data Protection Regulation.

Your application will be subject to automated processing but not to automated decision making.

Read our privacy policy for details.