Apply for student Council Tax discount or exemption

You can complete this form without registering or signing in. You will receive an email receipt after you submit the form.

To apply for student Council Tax discount or exemption, you need to complete one or two forms depending on the University or College you attend.

Details of term-time address - required from all students

To complete this online form you need to provide your

  • personal details - name, date of birth, email address
  • studey details - University or College, course name, matriculation number, course start and end dates
  • term time address - postcode, move in date, Council Tax account number if known
  • single or shared occupancy - names and student status of adults at the same address
  • landlord or agent contact details, if known
  • previous Edinburgh address, if applicable.

Confirmation of student status - may be required

If you are a student at a University or College outwith Edinburgh, or you have opted out of your University or College sharing your matriculation details, you have to complete a Confirmation of student status form (PDF). 

If you are a full time student at Edinburgh University, Heriot Watt, Edinburgh Napier, Queen Margaret, Edinburgh College of Art or Edinburgh College and provided permission for that organisation to share your matriculation details with the Council, you do not need to complete the student status form.