Schools review committee decisions
Committee approves Option One on 21 June 2018
The Education, Children and Families Committee considered the options generated by the informal consultation in the west and south west schools review and voted in favour of Option One.
Councillors decided at the meeting on Thursday 21 June 2018 and this will now go out to statutory consultation which is expected to start later in the year.
This option includes
- No school relocations or closures.
- Establishing a catchment area for a new Maybury Primary School.
- In the south west of the city: minor changes to the catchment areas of Currie High School and Balerno High School and to the catchment areas of Currie, Nether Currie, Dean Park and Ratho primary schools.
- In the north west of the city: minor changes to the catchment areas of The Royal High School and Craigmount High School and to the catchment areas of Corstorphine, Hillwood and Cramond primary schools.
- No changes to the catchment area of Wester Hailes Education Centre or its feeder primary schools: Canal View, Clovenstone or Sighthill primary schools.
- No changes affecting Forrester High School, Woodlands School or Kirknewton Primary School.
- Development of a west Edinburgh spatial strategy as part of the new Local Development Plan to consider where any new secondary school(s) should go.
Councillors also agreed to set up a working group to develop a long-term plan to maximise the educational and other opportunities for young people in the Wester Hailes area.
We will share further information on next steps and the statutory consultation process with school communities after the school summer holidays.
Update report published on 15 June 2018
Update report on the informal consultation in west and south west Edinburgh 21 June 2018
Committee will consider this report on 21 June 2018 and their decision will be published on this website.
Schools review committee decision 22 May 2018
The Education, Children and Families Committee met on 22 May 2018 and considered the options generated by the informal consultation. They asked for more information on the potential school sites and some educational issues before they decide which option should go out to statutory consultation.
We will publish a report with more information on 15 June, ahead of the next committee meeting on 21 June 2018, at which the committee will decide how to proceed.
Update report published on 16 May 2018
We will publish the decisions made by the committee on this website.