Support for people being abused

Domestic abuse is abuse from a current or previous partner. It doesn't have to mean violence. Your partner may say threatening or hurtful things, or try to control how you behave. You have the right to live free from abuse.

Emergency number 999 

Do not retaliate it's not safe for you or your partner.

Stay safe

You need to think about looking after your physical and mental health. You have choices about what to do if you live with an abusive partner. You can choose to

  • leave home temporarily or permanently
  • talk to a family member, friend or organisation
  • stay, accepting that your partner or ex-partner won't change
  • stay, with the hope that your partner or ex-partner will change
  • take legal action by contacting the police or using the law to protect you. 

Find out about legal help, homelessness and money.

The police treat domestic abuse as high priority. If you report an assault, the police will investigate and contact your partner. The police will press charges if there is enough evidence.

You can search for local domestic abuse support services and download the Safety Planning Booklet for practical advice below:

Download the Safety Planning Booklet

If you are concerned about someone at risk of harm, find out how to protect someone from harm.