You may be able to get a discount on your Council Tax bill if you, or someone who lives with you, have been classed as severely mentally impaired.
The person must also be entitled to one of the following benefits
- incapacity benefit
- attendance allowance
- severe disablement allowance
- employment and support allowance
- armed forces independence payment
- disability element of working Tax credit
- unemployability supplement or allowance
- income support (which includes the disability premium)
- daily living component of personal independence payment
- care component (at the high or middle rate) of disability living allowance
- increased rate of disablement pension where constant attendance is needed.
To apply, download and print the confirmation form below, complete it and give it to the person's registered medical practitioner for authorisation. Then send to the address on the form. You should include evidence of the qualifying benefit.
Your discount will begin from the date your impairment started and you received a benefit.
Amount of discount
We may offer a
- 25% discount where a property is home to a person or people who are severely mentally impaired and one other adult who is not
- 100% exemption where a property is home to only a person or people who are severely mentally impaired.
This discount reduces your Council Tax, water and sewerage charges.
We regularly review our Council Tax discount requests. We may ask you to provide more information or evidence.