Monuments in parks and green spaces - Ross Fountain

Monument Ross Fountain
Location West Princes Street Gardens
Information This fountain is a magnificent example of 19th century French cast-iron work, from the foundry of Antoine Durenne, with figures sculpted by Jean-Baptiste Jules Klagmann whose work includes fountains in Paris. The central column has mermaid figures sitting on scallop-shell basins with lion’s heads, four figures depict Science, Arts, Poetry, and Industry, surmounted by a female holding a cornucopia. Mr Daniel Ross, a local gun-maker ‘with inclinations to art and natural science’ ordered the fountain at the Great Exhibition of 1862 in London and gifted it to the city; a smaller version is in Brazil. It was erected and operational in 1872 but Ross died before seeing it working.
Further information Ross Fountain
Contact museumsandgalleries@edinburgh.gov.uk
Location map