Release from prison

Supervision on licence

You can be sentenced to a period in prison. On release you might be supervised on licence by a criminal justice social worker. This is known as statutory throughcare.

You may be released on one of the following

  • Life Licence
  • Extended Sentence Licence
  • Parole Licence
  • Non-Parole Licence
  • Supervised Release Order
  • Short-term sex offender licence.

Your social worker will see you during your sentence and when you are released.

Your social worker will write Home Background Reports for your proposed release address. They may also have contact with your family.

If you do not comply with your licence conditions, your social worker will have to report back to the Parole Board. You may be recalled to prison.

Voluntary throughcare

If you are not being released on licence, you may still want some support after you leave prison. Edinburgh & Midlothian Offender Recovery Service provided by Change, Grow, Live have a throughcare service which can help you.

Criminal justice services

Address: Grindlay Street Court,