Tenancy information

Subletting and lodgers


Subletting is when an existing tenant lets all or part of their home to someone else; this person is known as the subtenant. 

You need our written permission before you can do this. Any other joint tenant, partner or person living with you must also give their written agreement. 

If you want to sublet all or part of your home, the property must have been your only or principle home for at least 12 months immediately before the date of your written request to sublet the house to someone else.

As the tenant it is important to remember that you will still be responsible for the rent being paid and for keeping your home in good condition. You will also be responsible for the conduct/behaviour of the subtenant/ lodger, their family and any visitors. You should think carefully about what this means and what you need to do to manage your tenancy.


A lodger is someone, other than a member of your household, who rents a room in your home and who may share the bathroom, kitchen and/or living room with you. You will only be able to take in a lodger if you have a spare room. You must apply for permission from your housing officer before you can take in a lodger.