Updated 23 May 2022
These libraries have reopened:
- Central - the building is open, but the Reference Library is temporarily closed until 20 June 2022 so that lighting can be replaced.
- McDonald Road
- Muirhouse (at Edinburgh College, Granton Campus)
- Ratho (mobile library)
- South Neighbourhood Office
- South Queensferry
- Wester Hailes
Libraries used as COVID-19 local testing centres
The Libraries which were previously operating as COVID local testing centres have been handed back to the Council. Significant work has been carried out to allow these services to resume safely and securely and Leith, Newington, Oxgangs and Sighthill Libraries have now reopened.
Safety measures in libraries
Please remember that numbers will be limited in the buildings due to the safety measures in place:
- you must book your visit in advance to use some of our services – book a visit online or by phoning the library. Find phone numbers for libraries.
- internal spaces have been adapted to create more space to help reduce the risk of transmission
- whilst the Scottish Government has advised that there is no longer any legal requirement to wear a face covering when accessing libraries, they do continue to encourage the wearing of a face covering when moving around and in communal settings.
You don't need to book your library visit to browse and borrow books, return books, pick up free sanitary products or collect hearing aid batteries.
Please book your visit to
- use computers and the internet
- use a study space (except Central Library)
- apply for a National Entitlement Card (bus pass).
Read about libraries’ reopening on the Your Library website.
Your library is always open online to borrow ebooks, audiobooks, magazines and newspapers.
Thank you for your continued understanding and patience.
Community centre reopening guidance
We have guidance for community centres reopening, covering topics as
- health and safety
- trusted keyholder procedure
- COVID guidance
- COVID signage.
Management Committees (MC) may find these documents useful.
These documents include the temporary missive which MCs will need to sign before access can be granted for indoor activity. The temporary missive places additional responsibilities upon the MC.
If your MC wishes to restart activities, please contact your locality lifelong learning manager to discuss.
Fire Safety in Community Centres