Our waste services are running over the festive period, including recycling centres. Find out about waste services over Christmas and New Year.
Out of hours social care services
You should contact the out of hours team in emergencies on evenings, weekends and public holidays.
Out of hours services will be operational 24/7 throughout the festive season.
0800 731 6969 / 00441315538286 (from outside UK).
You should call our out of hours service if you need any emergency housing on an evening, weekend or public holiday
0800 032 5968.
Other emergencies/ out of hours
All other Council emergencies: 0131 200 2000 / 0800 0325968
Unsafe buildings and emergency repairs: 0131 200 2000
Antisocial noise from neighbours: 101
Find out where there is free parking on the festive public holidays.
Libraries will close at 5pm on Friday
- 24 December for Christmas and reopen on Wednesday 29 December
- 31 December for Hogmanay and reopen on Wednesday 5 January.
Remember, Your Library is always open online to borrow ebooks, audiobooks, magazines and newspapers
Museums and galleries
Museums and galleries will be closed on
- Saturday 25 December
- Sunday 26 December
- Monday 27 December
- Saturday 1 January
- Sunday 2 January.
They will also close at 3.30pm on Friday
- 24 December
- 31 January.
All other days museums and galleries will be open from 10am until 5pm with last entry at 4.15pm.
The following exhibitions will be on at the City Art Centre:
- Incoming: New Acquisitions at the City Art Centre presents a selection of paintings, drawings, prints, photographs and sculpture acquired within the last ten year.
- Reflections: The Light and Life of John Henry Lorimer (1856-1936). The first retrospective of his work, will explore Lorimer’s art through five key themes: light, identity, family, femininity and home.
- Tapestry: Changing Concepts is a group exhibition featuring work by 19 contemporary artists associated with the former Tapestry Department at Edinburgh College of Art, either as graduates or lecturers.
Find out more information about the exhibitions.
All our other museums and monuments remain closed until further notice.
Our public toilets opening hours over Christmas and New Year:
- Saturday 25 December – closed
- Sunday 26 December (Cramond, Pipe Lane and South Queensferry) – open 10am to 4pm
- Friday 1 January (Cramond, Pipe Lane and South Queensferry) – open 10am to 4pm
- Saturday 2 January (Cramond, Pipe Lane and South Queensferry) – open 10am to 4pm
Other useful numbers
Alcoholics Anonymous: 0800 9177 650
Crimestoppers: 0800 555 111
Floodline: 0345 988 1188
Electricity: 0800 40 40 90
Gas leaks: 0800 111 999
Power cut to your area: 105
Scottish Water: 0800 0778 778
The Samaritans: 116 123
Women's Aid: 0800 027 1234