At this time only make an appointment if your baby has not been registered and was born between
1 February 2020 to 15 May 2020
The procedure to register a birth has changed to accommodate physical distancing.
- can only register births our City Chambers Office
- can book your appointment online to register a birth
- will be called the day before your appointment to gather required information
Births that have taken place in Scotland can be registered in any registration office. Should you choose to register your baby’s birth in another registration office please check that councils website for details.
Your pre-appointment phone call
A member of our team will contact you by phone on the number you supply the day before your appointment to gather the information required. The call will appear as 0131 529 2600.
If your appointment is on a Monday, we will call you the Friday before.
If you miss the call email
giving the date and time of your appointment.
Attending your appointment
When you attend the office for your appointment strict physical distancing will be in operation. You must arrive exactly at the time given. There will be no waiting area.
If you can’t attend the appointment the birth will not be registered. Email us at
and we will arrange another appointment.
If the parents of the baby are not married or in a civil partnership with each other they must come together to the appointment if both names are to appear on the birth certificate. Even if you have given the details during your pre-appointment phone call.
What you need to bring to your appointment
You must bring
- the card from the hospital where the baby was born
- birth certificates of parents to be registered
- your marriage certificate, if applicable
If you don’t have your birth certificates, please bring another form of ID to ensure accurate recording of your names, such as a passport.
After your appointment
We will issue
- an abbreviated extract of birth which is free of charge
- EC58 form for the National Health Service which is free of charge
- full extract which you may require which is charged at the statutory fee £10. Please pay by card.
We will call you the day before your appointment
Our online diary will be unavailable from 2pm to 5pm on Wednesday 8 July 2020 for essential maintenance.