Legal requirements for marriage and civil partnership

All marriages and civil partnerships

Marriage – complete M10 forms and submit within the legal timescale.

M10 forms and information

Civil partnership – complete CP10 forms and submit within the legal timescale.

CP10 forms and information

Along with the completed form you are required to submit your

  • birth certificate
  • passport if born after 1983 - we do not require to see your passport if you were born in the UK before 1983.
  • proof of address dated within the last 3 months.

If you have been married before you are required to submit your

  • divorce of annulment document
  • death certificate of your former spouse or civil partner.

All documents must be originals. Photocopy passports will be accepted but original seen at a later date. 

If you are not British

You may need to provide a Certificate of No Impediment (CONI). This is a document from your home country stating you are free to get married or have a civil partnership. If you have been resident in the UK for more than two years evidence of this will be accepted in place of a CONI.

If either party is subject to immigration control you must complete a Declaration of Immigration Status form. A passport photograph for both parties must be provided also.

Contact the UK Border Agency for advice on entry requirements to the UK under immigration rules for marriage and civil partnerships.

Any documents that are not in English must be accompanied by a certified translation.

When and how to submit your forms and documentation

  • Submit a M10 or CP10 each with all the relevant documentation six to eight weeks prior to your intended ceremony. The minimum notice period is 29 days. Should you be subject to immigration control we recommend giving three months’ notice. 
  • All correct fees must be paid at the time of lodging. If you have booked a civil ceremony with the registration offices or for a registrar to attend at an agreed venue, then you will have already paid the fees for lodging notice.
  • Do not submit any more than three months before your marriage or civil partnership.

Where to submit your forms and documentation

M10s and CP10s for

  • civil ceremonies in the City Chambers
  • all agreed venues
  • all religious and belief system ceremonies

can be delivered via our drop-in box between 9am and 4pm Monday to Friday or posted to

The Registrar
City Chambers
253 High Street

0131 529 2600

[email protected].

 M10s and CP10s for civil ceremonies in the Forth View room or Dalmeny room South Queensferry can be posted to

The Registrar
53 High Street
South Queensferry

0131 331 1590

[email protected].