Benefits and debt advice

Redundancy and loss of wages

The Government’s Job Retention scheme now runs until 30 September 2021. This ‘Furlough’ scheme supports employees who have been unable to work during Covid-19 restrictions.

The Job Support Scheme (JSS) assists businesses that are forced to close due to Covid-19 restrictions and will pay 80% of staff salary up to £2,100 per month.

In addition, people who can work at least one third of their hours will be supported financially by the JSS with employers required to pay at least one third of salary.

This BBC Explainer provides more detail on how the JSS works.

Speak with your employer in the first instance to see if you are eligible.

Redundancy information

For those people who are facingredundancy, firms are still obliged to provide statutory and contractual payment to employees ‘let go’ through businesses cutting back on staff levels.

This information available on your redundancy rights explains the basics. The Citizens Advice Scotland website has detailed information on your rights when faced with redundancy.

If you require further information or advice, Citizens Advice Edinburgh can be contacted on 0131 510 5510.

There is now a comprehensive service called Partnership Action for Continuing Employment (PACE) that provides online support and assistance for people facing the loss of their job. PACE also has a helpline – 0800 917 8000

Alternatively, the dispute resolution service ACAS helpline is 0808 100 1855.

If you have lost your job and not been given any compensation by your employer then you could pursue a claim for loss of notice through the Redundancy Payments Service. The phone number is 0330 331 0020.

Self-employed and not earning enough

Support for the self-employed has been updated. See details at

Universal Credit may be an option if your self-employed income has dropped. More information can be found at Universal Credit webpage.

The Government has temporarily removed the minimum income floor and will calculate your Universal Credit based on your actual earnings.

Normally, if you’re self-employed and have low income levels, your Universal Credit payment may be calculated using an assumed level of earnings - a Minimum Income Floor. It’s based on what an employed person on minimum wage would expect to earn in similar circumstances. If you earn more than this, then your Universal Credit amount is based on your actual earnings.

Self-isolating due to Covid-19

If you have been instructed to self-isolate due to Covid-19 there may be financial help available to you if you are going to lose income from work. Details can be found on the Edinburgh Council website including how to apply.

You may be entitled to Statutory Sick Pay  If you are unable to work due to being ill with Covid.