Candidates confirmed for City Centre by-election
The six candidates for the vacant seat in the City Centre ward are:
- John Carson - Independent
- Karen Doran - Scottish Labour Party
- Alistair Hodgson - Scottish Liberal Democrats
- Melanie Main - Scottish Green Party
- Iain McGill
- Scottish Conservative and Unionist
- Alasdair Rankin - Scottish National Party (SNP)
Voters have until Wednesday 3 August to register to vote or apply for a postal vote for the by-election on Thursday 18 August. To register to vote or apply for a postal vote people should contact the Electoral Registration Office or phone 0131 344 2500.
Polling stations will be open from 7am to 10pm. Due to the date of the by-election, some polling places have changed as many buildings are booked as Fringe venues. Others have been relocated from schools to avoid disruption in the first week of term. Voters should check their polling cards to find out where to vote.
The election will use the Single Transferable Vote (STV) system where voters can rank candidates in order of preference rather than using a single cross. Voters can give a rank to as many or as few candidates as they like. The results of the by-election will be announced on Friday 19 August.
- Lauriston Halls, Sacred Heart Church, 28 Lauriston Street
- Lothian Chambers, 59-63 George IV Bridge (relocated from Augustine United Church)
- Waverley Court, Council headquarters, 4 East Market Street (relocated from Royal Mile Primary school and Panmure St Anne's)
- London Road Church Hall, 1A Easter Road (relocated from Abbeyhill Primary school)
- Walpole Hall, St Mary's Cathedral, Chester Street
- St Stephen's Centre, 105 St Stephen Street
- St Paul's and St George's Church, 10 Broughton Street (relocated from St Mary's RC Primary school)
- The Apex Hotel, 90 Haymarket Terrace