Calling all photographers to the City Art Centre
The City of Edinburgh Council is searching for six striking shots of the Capital to sit alongside some of the greatest artworks in the Council’s collection.
Photographers with a keen eye for the Capital are being invited to ‘Capture Edinburgh’ for the chance to see their work displayed in a major new exhibition at the City Art Centre next year.
The #CaptureEdinburgh competition is free to enter on the City Art Centre Facebook page and open to amateurs, enthusiasts, students and professionals alike. Scenes of Edinburgh after dark, indoors and in all weathers and images of the festivals, fashion and the changing face of the city are invited.
The deadline for entries is 31 January 2017. Winners will be chosen in February by a panel of Edinburgh Museum and Gallery curators and photography experts including Ben Harman, Director of the Stills Centre for Photography, and Kayt Turner, Picture Editor of the Scotsman.
Councillor Richard Lewis, Culture Convener, said: “Edinburgh’s closes and crescents, cityscape and scenery are a photographer's dream. This is a rare opportunity for some of the best contemporary photography of Edinburgh to be displayed in a major exhibition celebrating the story of the city. The winning images will sit side-by-side with famous artworks from the city’s nationally recognised collection which is regularly enjoyed by international audiences."
Photographers are invited to enter the following categories:
- After Dark – Street scenes, city vistas, or perhaps hidden corners
- Changing City – Aspects of the city that are changing or being lost altogether, an image documenting a city in transition
- On the Inside – Cosy Edinburgh, modern Edinburgh, maybe a pub, church, office or home
- A Festivals and Event City – From the Winter Festivals to the Summer season and everything in between
- In all Weathers – Come rain, come shine...or perhaps the haar, wind and shadows
- Fashion and Retail – Fashionistas, young and old, quirky shops or a highstreet
Entrants must like and follow the City Art Centre Facebook page and post submissions online using #CaptureEdinburgh with a title for the image, the location it was taken and category being entered. Paper copies must also be submitted to the City Art Centre building. Photographers will retain their copyrights.