Edinburgh's Christmas 2013
Underbelly and Unique Events, on behalf of the Council, today announced the programme for Edinburgh's Christmas.
- Sir Chris Hoy will lead the switch on of Edinburgh’s Christmas Lights in a renewed Light Night on George Street on Sunday 24 November. With a theme of “12 Days of Christmas”, the community-led event will feature 60 local school and other community groups performing in front of 18,000 people.
- A new Christmas site comes to St Andrew Square with a 635-seat Spiegeltent, plus Scottish and Children’s Markets.
- LIMBO, the hit international circus show, comes to Edinburgh’s Christmas to spellbind and astound audiences (as they did at this morning's spectacular launch).
- Hot Dub Time Machine, the hit show of Edinburgh Fringe 2013, returns to Summerhall for 10 exclusive performances.
- Other attractions include the Big Wheel, Ice Skating, the Star Flyer and a Christmas Tree Maze.
Speaking at the launch, Edinburgh's Festivals & Events Champion, Cllr Steve Cardownie, said: “Edinburgh’s winter festivals are an integral part of the Scottish events calendar and this fresh and exciting programme proves that, once again, the capital is the place to be at Christmas time.
“From the light switch-on with Sir Chris Hoy to the extraordinary LIMBO circus show, St Andrew Square bursting to life with the Spiegeltent, children’s markets and Star Flyer, plus the return of some old favourites such as the Big Wheel and Christmas Market, there really is something for everyone.”
Charlie Wood and Ed Bartlam of Underbelly said: “Whilst retaining many of the traditionally popular attractions, we have relocated some, expanded others and introduced new attractions that will delight the residents and visitors of this historic city. Christmas in Edinburgh will be a metropolitan festival to rival the celebrations of other world cities and an event of which the capital city of Scotland will be proud.”
Full details on all events, attractions, shows and tickets are available from Edinburgh’s Christmas website.