Legal requirements for getting married

Requirements for getting married in Edinburgh

Documents to be submitted

Everyone getting married must complete an M10 form and submit along with your birth certificate.

If you have been married or in a civil partnership before, you must submit proof this has ended by also submitting a

  • divorce document
  • death certificate of your former spouse or civil partner.

If you are not British you may also need to provide

  • a certificate of no impediment (CONI), a document from your home country stating you are free to marry
  • proof of your nationality.

If you are travelling from a non EEA country and are non EEA national you should contact the UK border agency for advice on entry requirements to the UK under immigration rules for marriage and civil partnerships.

All documents you submit must be originals and will be returned to you. We cannot accept photocopies or scanned copies.

If the documents are not in English, you must provide a certified translation along with the original documents.

When and how to submit paperwork

The legal paperwork needs to be submitted four to six weeks before the date of the ceremony.

The forms are only valid for three months so please do not hand them in any earlier.

You can submit the forms by post. Please remember to send all accompanying documents and fees with the correct postage.

All offices operate an appointment system if you want to bring them in person.

Civil ceremony

To book a ceremony in a registrars office just call your selected office directly to check available dates. You may be asked to pay a deposit. 

To be married in an agreed venue you need to contact the registrar. You will need to complete an AP1 form to book a registrar to come out to the venue on the day. You will need to pay the registrars attendance fee. You can download the fees to be married in a venue below.

In Edinburgh our staff are on hand to help make your day special. We give you the option to individually tailor and personalise your own ceremony. We have amended ceremony booklets and of course you can talk to our staff at anytime. However there can be no religious content in a civil ceremony.

All paperwork is submitted four to six weeks before the wedding along with any outstanding balance. After paperwork is complete its just a case of turning up on the day.

Religious ceremony

If you are being married by a religious celebrant or other belief system, paperwork is submitted to the registrar four to six weeks before the date of the wedding.You can download fees for being married by a religious celebrant.

It is up to you to contact the celebrant of your choice when you know where and when it is you want to marry. You will need to attend the registrars office the week of your wedding to collect the marriage schedule.


Lothian Chambers
59-63 George IV Bridge, Edinburgh, EH1 1RN
0131 529 2600

30 Ferry Road, Edinburgh, EH6 4AE
0131 529 5520

South Queensferry
53 High Street, SOuth Queensferry, EH30 9HP
0131 331 1590

16 Station Road, Kirkliston, EH29 9BE
0131 529 6920

For more information including marriage abroad please visit National Records of Scotland website.

Do you have any comments about this page?

Help us improve

  • The City of Edinburgh Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.