Supporting Learning Services
We work with school staff supporting learners with additional support needs from preschool through to S6. In particular we are involved with learners whose needs are exceptional.
The SLS can become involved through:
- Establishments can contact the Neighbourhood Support Co-ordinators directly on 0131 469 2980
- Schools can make referrals to the Dyslexia Support Service
- Referral forms are available to schools from the Support Co-ordinators on 0131 469 2980
Accessing the service
Parents with any queries or concerns about their child's education should contact their school in the first instance. Direct referrals to this service can only be made by the school.
Services we offer
Advice to Head Teachers, ASL Team Leaders and support for learning staff on all issues pertaining to additional support needs. This includes advice on:
- inclusive practice
- the effective use of Learning Assistants
- individual planning processes and on the content of individual plans such as Additional Support Plans (ASP) and Individualised Educational Programmes (IEP).
- completing the annual Integration Support Audit
We provide training for all school staff, supporting in particular the continuing professional development of:
- Support for Learning Teachers
- Learning Assistants.
We also offer:
- Direct involvement through the Dyslexia Support Service for learners who have severe dyslexia
- Involvement at key transition times for learners with exceptional needs
- Joint working with other partnership services and agencies.
We work with school staff supporting learners with additional support needs from preschool through t
contact the Neighbourhood Support Co-ordinators directly
Tel: 0131 469 2980