Pre-school nursery education
Apply for a nursery place
To apply for a place in a Council-run nursery, including the Gaelic nursery, you should complete a nursery application form [pdf, 66.7kb]. The completed form should be taken to your first choice nursery. Nursery location and contact details can be found in our searchable directory.
- Nursery Schools and Classes provide part-time places. Some provide additional nursery hours to children meeting certain criteria. You may be able to buy additional hours or wraparound nursery care. Please discuss this with the head teacher or centre manager
- Gaelic nursery There is one Gaelic nursery in Edinburgh, located at Bun Sgoil Taobh na Pairce, in Bonnington Road. Find out more about Gaelic pre-school education.
Please note that Council-run nurseries generally follow the same term dates as Council schools. In addition nurseries are allocated 4.5 setting up days and opening times may vary. Contact the nursery for these dates.
Partner Provider Centres
The following provide pre-school education on behalf of the Council. Contact the provider directly for further information.
- Private day nurseries who are in partnership with the local authority offer pre-school education and childcare.
- Community childcare centres offer pre-school education and childcare. They are non-profit-making. Opening hours - 8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday, all year round.
- College or University nurseries offer pre-school education and childcare. Some operate throughout the year but they may be able to offer you a term-time-only place if required. Places are primarily for students and staff, but, depending on demand, may be open to other families. Opening hours - 8am to 6pm.
- Playgroups are voluntary non-profit-making groups usually managed by a committee. They usually run for 2.5 hour sessions. Parents may be expected to help on a rota basis. Opening hours - May be open mornings, afternoons or both
- Independent Schools nursery classes may vary in the term dates and opening hours.
Early Years Team
1.1 Waverley Court
4 East Market Street
Tel: 0131 529 2103
Fax: 0131 529 6211