Council tax exemption
How can I apply for exemption
- Page 1 of 2
- Next page
- are unfurnished (exempt for up to six months from the last date of occupation), please note a home visit will be required
- are owned by a charity (exempt for up to six months)
- have just been built (exempt for up to six months after completion), please note a home visit will be required
- require or are undergoing structural alteration or major work (exempt for up to a maximum of twelve months from the last date of occupation), please note a home visit may be required
- have been repossessed
- are left empty by someone who is deceased
- are left empty by someone who has gone into prison or who has moved to receive personal care such as in a hospital or residential home
- are left empty so the owner can provide personal care to another person
- are left empty waiting to be occupied by a minister of religion
- are the responsibility of a bankrupt's trustee
- are empty because the law says it is not fit to be lived in, for example where a property is subject to a demolition order, closing order or a compulsory purchase order.
However you will need to provide evidence that confirms their status. See the Discount, exemption and reduction forms page for more details.
Also, please see Important changes for unoccupied properties from January 2014.