Free school meals and assistance with schoolwear
Who qualifies and how to apply
The Council can provide children from low income families with free school meals and assistance towards the purchase of school clothing subject to certain criteria. Young people over the age of 16 and living independently may also apply.
To qualify, you must be in receipt of at least one of the following benefits (as of 6 April 2013 and subject to change):
- Child Tax Credit (and your annual income is less than £15,910).
- Child Tax Credit with Working Tax Credit with and Income below £6420 (for free school meals ONLY)
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Income-Related Employment and Support Allowance
Please note that families in receipt of working tax credit do not qualify for assistance with schoolwear, only free school meals.
Each award is valid for 12 months, providing a child/young person with one free school meal each day they attend school, and schoolwear vouchers which can be redeemed in a number of stores towards the purchase of school clothing. Children of primary stage are awarded £43.00 and those of secondary stage are awarded £50.00.
You can download the application form to print and send in to us at the address given on the form. Alternatively they are available from all primary, secondary and special schools.