Apply for a residents' or priority parking permit
Find out which permit zone you live in by using our online permit zone map. This will help you apply for the right permit.
If you live within zones
you can apply using the residents parking permit application form.
A residents' parking permit does not guarantee the holder a parking place.
Blue Badge holders
Residents with Blue Badges within permit zones do not pay for their permit but they still need to apply and display a valid permit when parking in a permit bay.
Students can't buy a parking permit if they live in purpose built student lodgings. This does not apply to students living in private houses. Read about parking permits for students.
Priority parking permits
If you live in a priority parking area B1 to B10 you will need to apply using the priority parking permit application form downloadable below.
Find your permit price if you know the area you live in and your vehicle's CO2 emissions or engine size for older vehicles.
What we need
You need to prove you are the main driver of the vehicle and that you live at your address. You can provide photo copies of your
- Council Tax number. If you have not registered for Council Tax please do so as soon as possible. If you are not liable for Council Tax we may be able to accept a lease or mortgage agreement
- proof of address either a lease, mortgage or Council Tax bill
- driving licence
- full vehicle registration certificate, V5C, showing you as the keeper. If you don't have this provide your insurance certificate. Once you have registered for Council Tax the document linking you to the vehicle does not have to show your current address.
Returning your application
Send your completed application form to, or visit the customer hub at, the address below
There may be times when you have to book an appointment due to demand.
Our busiest periods are between 11:30am and 2:30pm.
Make cheques payable to The City of Edinburgh Council.
Permit team address
The Permit team are based at the Drumbrae Hub.
Opening hours are
- Monday, Wednesday and Thursday from 8:30am to 4:30pm
- Tuesday from 10am to 4:30pm
- Friday from 8:30am to 3:40pm.