Barking dogs

Report prolonged or extreme barking

You should take the following steps to deal with extreme or prolonged dog barking from neighbouring properties.

If possible, speak to the dog owner before involving the Council or police. Tell them when the dog is barking and for how long. Keeping a record of dates and times may be helpful as they may simply not be aware of it.

If this does not improve matters, you can contact the antisocial noise service when the noise is occurring on 101. This service is provided jointly with Police Scotland.

If all else fails you may apply for a District Court Order under section 49 of the Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982. If granted, the owner or keeper would have to take steps to prevent the annoyance continuing. If the order is breached a report may be sent to the Procurator Fiscal with possible proceedings against the owner.

To be successful in this action you will need to gather meaningful supporting evidence such as corroboration from others affected, along with records of dates, times and durations of disturbances. Please note that, with this particular legislation,the application for the order needs to be made directly by the person affected, it cannot be made by the Council or the police.

Contact your locality team further information or if you want an application form for a section 49 District Court Order.

Please note that we are not able to take action on noise from dogs barking in the street.

Do you have any comments about this page?

Help us improve

  • The City of Edinburgh Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.