Food business approval process
Some types of food businesses need to be approved by us as well as being registered. These can include premises where meat is processed or prepared, manufacturers of meat, dairy produce, egg or fish products, some wholesalers, and cold stores. There are some limited exemptions. If you think approval might apply to you, please contact us for advice.
How to apply
Once you know you need to be approved, you need to complete an application form. You can download the form below or we can send you one by post or email.
The completed form must be returned to us at the address below. Along with your completed form we need information on your arrangements for:
- pest control
- product testing
- water supply testing
- cleaning and maintenance
- a detailed plan of the premises
- staff training / staff health monitoring
- your arrangements for waste collection and disposal
- record keeping including details of your HACCP system.
- Once we have your completed form we will arrange to visit your business. You cannot operate any part of your business that needs apprvoal until we are satisfied that you have met all of the requirements.
- We then give you a unique approval number which makes up part of the identification mark that must be put on your products and documentation. It means your products can be traced back to your business from anywhere.
Changes to the business
If the business changes hands, or is altered in any way, or you want to make additional products, you must let us know. You might need further approval.
For more information see the guidelines for approved premises in the UK on the Food Standards Agency website.