West and south west schools review
We would create a new south west Edinburgh high school on a single site. The new school would have the capacity for 1,200 pupils.
Juniper Green, Nether Currie, Canal View and Clovenstone Primary Schools would feed to the new south west Edinburgh school.
Sites identified for a new school include
- Curriemuirend Park
- North Baberton
- Murrayburn Depot.
Sighthill Primary School would feed to Forrester High School. It currently feeds to WHEC.
Balerno High School would expand from an 850 pupil capacity to a 1,200 pupil capacity to accommodate Currie Primary School.
Kinleith Mill area would move from Currie Primary School’s catchment area to Nether Currie Primary School’s catchment area.
Ratho Primary School would feed to a new high school in west Edinburgh. The new school would have capacity for 1400 pupils.
Potential sites identified for a new west Edinburgh school include
- Ratho Station
- International Business Gateway.
Kirkliston and Hillwood Primary Schools and a new Maybury Primary School would feed to the new west Edinburgh school.
Following feedback from the informal consultation, Woodlands School would move to the new south west Edinburgh high school.
Catchment areas affected
- Balerno High
- Craigmount High
- Currie High
- Forrester High
- The Royal High
- Tynecastle High
- Wester Hailes Education Centre (WHEC)
By 2026 we could have an extra
- 800 primary and 500 secondary pupils in west Edinburgh, where 4,000 new homes are proposed, including sites at Maybury and Cammo.
- 125 primary and 77 secondary pupils in south west Edinburgh, where 700 new homes are proposed.
Developers have identified other housing sites in the west, so we must be prepared for growth.
Condition of schools
A survey of our schools has shown that we must replace Currie High School’s building.
Balerno High School and WHEC also need improvement works.
Proposed building works
We are working with the affected communities on the proposal below before we carry out a formal consultation.
We propose to
- build two new secondary schools - South West Edinburgh High School on a new site replacing Currie High School and Wester Hailes Education Centre (WHEC) and a new West Edinburgh High School
- build a new primary school – Maybury Primary School
- refurbish and expand Balerno High.
Proposed catchment changes
Rather than go to Currie High, pupils from
- Currie Primary would go to Balerno High
- Nether Currie Primary catchment would go to a new South West High
- Juniper Green Primary would go to a new South West High.
Rather than go to WHEC, pupils from
- Sighthill Primary would go to Forrester High
- Canal View Primary would go to a new South West High
- Clovenstone Primary catchment would go to a new South West High.
Rather than go to Craigmount High, pupils from
- Hillwood Primary would go to a new West Edinburgh High
- Roseburn Primary would go to Tynecastle High.
- Ratho Primary would go to a new West Edinburgh High rather than Balerno High
- new housing in the Cammo area of Cramond Primary and The Royal High catchments would go to Maybury Primary and a new West Edinburgh High
- the west section of Corstorphine Primary and Craigmount High catchments would go to a new Maybury Primary and a new West Edinburgh High.
Other changes would make Currie Primary catchment area smaller by realigning sections with Dean Park Primary and Nether Currie Primary.
Kirkliston Primary is the subject of a separate consultation looking at secondary school options.
Use the map below to find your existing and proposed catchment areas.
To use the map
- enter your postcode or street name and press enter or click the magnifying glass to search
- select your address from the list of results
- select the current and proposed schools from the list below.