How to make sure you are paid on time

All supplier and contractor invoices for goods or services should be emailed to There will be an automatic response to confirm that the invoice has been received.

All invoices must have a Council Purchase Order (PO) number. Any invoices received by the Council without a PO will be returned to the supplier or contractor and payment will be delayed. The payment terms will take effect from the receipt date of the corrected invoice.

Electronic invoicing

If you are interested in receiving orders and submitting invoices in an electronic format, please contact us at

Download the guidance on electronic invoicing

Overdue invoices

If you have a query about an invoice that is overdue, please email the Payments and Banking Services Helpdesk at

Council terms are to pay invoices within 30 days of receipt by Payment Services, except where other payment terms are agreed.

We aim to pay Small and Medium Sized Enterprises (SMEs) within 10 days of receipt if possible, although this is not contractual.

Payment schedules

We prefer to pay by Bank Automated Clearing Services (BACS).

BACS payments take place weekly on a Tuesday and Thursday. It normally takes three working days following a payment run for transferred money to reach a supplier/contractor bank account.

Construction companies

Contractors and subcontractors within the construction industry who supply services to the Council must be registered with HM Revenue and Custom's Construction Industry Scheme (CIS) before they can be paid by the Council.

Find out how to register with the CIS on the GOV.UK website.

Vendor Form

All suppliers will be required to complete a Vendor Form which will be provided to a supplier once they have won a contract. 

As part of this process emplyoment intermediaries and the self-employed are required to register with HMRC and provide their Unique Tax Reference prior to the works or services commencing.

To ensure all supplier information is correct a supplier may be requested to complete a new Vendor Form more than once.

Do you have any comments about this page?

Help us improve

  • The City of Edinburgh Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.