Commercial and construction noise

Report noise from businesses

If you are you being disturbed in your home call us during normal business hours to find out how we can help you.

0131 608 1100

The types of noise could be 

  • commercial, house or car alarms
  • construction or demolition noise
  • noise from road works
  • commercial noise such as air conditioning units or loud music
  • early morning deliveries
  • industrial noise
  • entertainment
  • vibration 
  • ice cream van chimes.

Useful information

Building Sites / Construction Sites

As a general rule noisy work from construction sites should usually only disturb you between 7am-7pm, Monday through to Saturday. There are some exemptions to this and other restrictions which may apply however. Please contact us for more information.

Pubs / Clubs 

You should not be able to hear amplified music from nearby pubs and clubs in your home (please note this does not include temporary venues and events). If you are disturbed in the evening or at the weekend please call our Licensing Standards Officers

0131 200 2000 

Available 12.15pm - midnight Monday to Thursday, 5.15pm - 4am Friday and Saturday, and 3.45pm - 2.30am Sunday.

For general information regarding noise from pubs or clubs

New Premises or Change of Use of a Property

Sometimes new premises, or one that has a change of use may have noise conditions imposed on it by its planning permission. You can check relevant planning permission via the Planning Portal.

Do you have any comments about this page?

Help us improve

  • The City of Edinburgh Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.