Filming and photography permissions and access

You need to arrange permission and access for filming and photography in areas of Council responsibility in Edinburgh, including parking dispensations. View and download photos from the Flickr streams of The City of Edinburgh and This Is Edinburgh.


  • Parking dispensations allows you to park on a single yellow line only. A minimum of 24 hours notice is required.
  • Pay bays can be booked for longer term parking. Three working days notice is required. Contact Film Edinburgh to coordinate this for you.
  • NSL Parking manage parking in the city for dispensations. Call on 0131 557 6941

Parking in Parliament Square can be arranged, sometimes at short notice, but depends on availability of staff and whether or not there are any events scheduled.

Parks and greenspaces

At least 48 hours notice is required however in some cases more notice will be essential. Details of what you will need to provide to secure permission can be found on the form.

Complete the filming permission form


You are strongly advised to have public liability insurance and in some circumstances you may be asked for evidence of this.

For crew with less than 10 people that just want to film on the street without having any areas closed off, contact Film Edinburgh  so they can alert local officers and Police Scotland.

You should not obstruct pedestrians or anyone else using the pavements or roads. If you are asked to move on by a Council officer or the police, you must do so. Please avoid filming at pedestrian crossings or junctions as it can either obscure views or create a distraction for drivers.

Closing off public area

  • For five or less days, at least two weeks notice required 
  • For more than five days, at least six weeks' notice required. A fee is usually payable

Contact Derek Shade on 0131 529 3400 to make the arrangements.


Ideally, we need your request by lunchtime the day before you want to film so that we have time to speak to the headteacher. However, we obviously appreciate that this is not always possible.

Each request is decided case-by-case. While we do our best, please be aware that we have to refuse the majority of requests to film in schools for practical or other reasons.

Cemeteries and burial grounds

If the request is from a news outlet, phone us with details of your request.

Otherwise contact Film Edinburgh. Depending on the nature of the request, there may be forms to complete and a charge may be payable. You will also be asked to supply copies of your public liability and risk assessment documents.

Requests are dealt with case by case. To allow your request to be processed you will need to tell us about 

  • equipment to be used
  • vehicle access requirements
  • likely date and times for filming or performing
  • size of film crew and likely audience size, if performance request
  • what the filming or photography or performance is for such as subject matter, for which channel or media.

Do you have any comments about this page?

Help us improve

  • The City of Edinburgh Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.