Sustainable procurement in the Council
This means buying goods, services and works in a way that
- gives value for money
- provides benefits for the Council
- provides benefits for society, the economy and the environment.
The Sustainable Procurement Policy sets out our approach to ensure that
- social, environmental and economic benefits are maximised
- environmental impacts are minimised
- sustainable procurement is embedded within the Council.
The policy can be downloaded below.
The policy commits the Council to looking at the 'whole life' or true costs of what we buy, using government buying standards for selecting sustainable goods and securing community benefits such as work and training places for local people through our contracts.
Buying sustainable timber
The Sustainable Timber Policy commits the Council to buying timber and wood-derived products from sustainable and legal sources only.
We have signed up to a WWF scheme to help protect the world's forests. There are three levels of pledge - gold, silver and bronze - and we were the first Scottish council to sign up to the gold WWF pledge.
You can download our Timber policy below.