Services for vulnerable people
Guidance on supporting vulnerable people during severe weather
Support for vulnerable people
We can provide support, information and advice relating to vulnerable people during severe weather. This includes staff who are able to respond to requests for help in sheltered, supported or Council housing.
We would urge anyone who can to check on elderly and vulnerable neighbours to see if they are coping during severe weather. A quick visit to make sure they have enough food and essential supplies in their home is always welcome.
Who counts as vulnerable?
Generally this will include people who are one or more of the following:
- Aged 80 or over and/or having a significant disability or medical condition.
- Living alone and/or having a significant disability or medical condition.
- No support available from a family member or neighbour
If you think you need support or know someone who might, contact Social Care Direct:
0131 200 2324 (Open Monday - Thursday 8:30 - 17:00, Friday 8:30 - 15:55)
Outwith these hours, please contact: 0800 731 6969
If you think someone needs medical advice, and you are unsure who their GP is, please contact one of the below:
Arranging emergency supplies
Emergency household supplies may available to vulnerable people if they are assessed as needing help after contacting Social Care Direct. The supplies are delivered by the Council's own staff.
For a vulnerable individual to qualify for essential food supplies they must meet the following criteria:
- Not currently in receipt of a home care service
- Insufficient food in house for next two days to meet dietary / essential needs