Be prepared for Winter
- Page 1 of 3
- Next page
Although the last few winters have been quite mild, winter 2010/2011 saw some of the worst weather Edinburgh has experienced in almost 50 years.
You can be prepared for whatever winter brings us by taking these steps:
- have your heating system checked
- stock up on salt from your local DIY shop
- get a good, strong snow shovel
- have some food stocks
- talk to family and friends about childcare
- review your travel plans
- get your car a winter health check.
During severe winter weather:
- check on neighbours
- keep up to date with roads, schools and travel information on our website, Twitter and on local radio
- stay warm
- avoid using your car unless really necessary
- help by clearing snow and ice in your area
- reduce the amount of waste going into your bin and keep recyclable material in bags (most will be fine in the snow) until collections resume
- use the Community Recycling Centres
See more advice and information from the Scottish Government.
View a captioned version of this video on YouTube, or download a text version (PDF, 65kb).