Saughton Park Restoration project design
About the design
Wide public consultations and research has been carried out which has informed the development of the master plan proposals, which includes
- refurbishing and replanting of the Winter Garden and conservatory
- repairing all the historic walls, entrances, and gates
- reinstating the bandstand within the Walled Garden
- restoring the Exhibition bridge and the Grade II listed Sundial
- creating a Physic Community garden and improve the Sunken Garden
- replanting many of the existing floral beds including the Rose Garden
- creating new herbaceous borders along the Royal Promenade
- developing the new plaza in the footprint of the original Saughtonhall House, with chess tables, a Pétanque and boccia terrain
- restoring the stables as a new community venue and base for our garden staff and partner, the Royal Caledonian Horticultural Society
- building a new cafe and public toilet facilities including a changing toilet
- creating teaching and demonstration gardens, and a new courtyard where markets and events can be held
- conserving and/or bringing into active management all trees, woodlands and hedges and improving biodiversity across the site
- planting a new fruit and nut trees orchard, fruit cordons and fruit espaliers as well as installing bee hives to help with pollination
- repairing and/or installing benches, bins, paths, and signage
- improving entrances and developing Active Travel circuit routes for cycling, walking and running
- installing outdoor gym equipment
- improving the car parks.
Subject to funding, we also plan to
- install a new micro-hydro scheme and ground source heating system,
- improve the children's play area to make it more inclusive,
- replace some of the boundary fencing
- build a new multi-use games court.
In addition we will be developing a full programme of events and activities which meets the needs and interests of a wide range of park users and offers volunteer and learning opportunities for all to enjoy. New management and maintenance regimes are being put into place to ensure the park is looked after to a high standard and ensure it achieves Green Flag status.
As Saughton Park experiences some anti-social behaviour issues and criminal damage we are considering increasing the CCTV coverage around the park.