Spend 5% of the transport budget on provision for cyclists
In 2013/14, we set a target of 6% of the transport budget to be spent on cycling provision. This budget is divided into capital projects and revenue projects.
In 2014/15 we aim to spend 7% of the transport budget on cycling. This is equivalent to £1,276,000 capital and £591,505 revenue.
6% revenue expenditure is equivalent to £556,050. With this, we have been able to
- improve maintenance of cycle facilities, including off-road cycle paths
- promote cycling and encourage people to drive and cycle safely.
6% capital expenditure is equivalent to £1,933,000. With this, we have
- renewed and widened North Meadow Walk
- put tarmac surfacing on the Corstorphine rail path to Balgreen tram stop
- extended the solar LED lights along the canal from Slateford to Wester Hailes
- added route signs to several 'Family Network' cycle routes
- improved the Leith - Portobello cycle route
- provided more on-street cycle parking, including George Street.