Register a food business

If you have a food business in Edinburgh such as a

  • hotel
  • cafe
  • takeaway
  • food shop
  • restaurant
  • mobile food van
  • home catering business

then you need to register with us. There is no charge for this. We will then carry our regular visits to your premises to ensure they comply with food safety legislation.

Approved premises

If you produce or distribute certain types of

  • fish
  • meat
  • dairy
  • egg products

then you may need to be approved by us or the Meat Hygiene service. If you are unsure whether your business may fall into this category please contact us for further advice.


Depending on the type of business you may also need a licence for

  • alcohol
  • street trading
  • game dealing.

How to register

Please fill in the food premises registration form at least 28 days before starting your business and send to our Food Health and Safety department. We can also send you a form by

  • fax
  • post
  • email.  

You must also tell us about any changes to your business. Please note that If you have premises in more than one council area you need to register separately for each council area.

Do you have any comments about this page?

Help us improve

  • The City of Edinburgh Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.