Leith to Portobello route
In Autumn 2012, we completed a new shared use cycle path that links the communities of Leith and Portobello for cyclists and pedestrians.
- a new ramp replacing the steps at the east edge of Leith Links
- a new bridge over Seafield Place
- a new / upgraded path to Seafield Street
- widening of the Seafield Road footway and conversion to shared pedestrian / cycle use
- signage, lighting and landscaping
- widening of the path in Leith Links between St.Mary's School and the new ramp.
We completed a further phase of work in summer 2015, upgrading the route between St.Mary's and Wellington Place via Leith Links.
This new route forms part of our QuietRoutes, a network of paths for younger, new or less confident cyclists. More information about this can be found on our Explore QuietRoutes page, or in the Active Travel Action Plan.
The project was carried out in partnership with Sustrans, with a contribution from the Binks Trust.
You can download a map of the Leith to Portobello route below or see our Google Map of the route.
The final phase of the project is now being developed in order to connect the route in Leith Links with the Water of Leith Walkway and the rest of the North Edinburgh Path Network. Design and preparation work on this phase is expected to take place over 2016/17.