Safety and help for men

Help for men being abused

Domestic abuse is abuse from a current or previous partner. It doesn't have to mean violence. Your partner may say threatening or hurtful things, or try to control how you behave. Men have the same right to protection from abuse as women. You can contact one of the organisations listed below for support and advice.

Police and the law

The police treat domestic abuse as high priority. If you report an assault, the police will investigate and contact your partner. The police will press charges if there is enough evidence.

You can apply to court to get legal protection. You should speak to a lawyer experienced in family law. The Men’s Advice Line have information on legal advice


Edinburgh currently has no refuge for abused men. We can help you to find emergency housing if you have nowhere to stay.

The Shelter Scotland website has advice on domestic abuse and homelessness.

Further help

You can search for local domestic abuse support services below.

Find out about advice on welfare benefits and money matters from our Advice Shop.

You may be concerned about someone at risk of harm. You can find out how to keep them safe.

Do you have any comments about this page?

Help us improve

  • The City of Edinburgh Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.