How to get or replace your NEC

National Entitlement Card

The National Entitlement Card (NEC) is for

  • young people
  • older people
  • people with a disability.

Find out if you qualify for an NEC on the Transport Scotland website. You can also read about the travel discounts you will get access to.

How to apply

To apply for an NEC you need to go to one of our libraries and fill in an application form.

To apply you will need a passport quality photo and proof of

  • who you are
  • where you live
  • your entitlement.

Download details on what proof is needed when applying (PDF – 38.95KB)

Forms for epilepsy and mental health are only available from GP practices or authorised agencies. Please contact the One Edinburgh team if you need advice on how to get one of those forms.

If you are 60 soon

You should apply for your card 28 days before you are 60 so that you get your card in time. You will not be able to use your card before your 60th birthday.

Lost or stolen cards

Contact us if your card is lost or stolen.

Renewing your card

If you are renewing your card under the grounds of a disability please take proof of your eligibility to your nearest library. If you have changed address since making your first application also take proof of address.

Faulty cards

If the ticket machine can’t read your card, you can ask the bus driver to swap it for a seven-day travel pass. This will not include any companion element that might normally apply. On trams you will have to pay the full fare until you get a new card.

Lost or stolen cards

If your card is lost or stolen you can contact us to get a new card.

If your address has changed please take proof of your new address to your nearest library to make sure your new card is sent to the right address.

Do you have any comments about this page?

Help us improve

  • The City of Edinburgh Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.