George Street and First New Town redesign
We have commissioned WYG Environment Planning Transport Ltd and LDA Design to develop a longterm design to reduce traffic and make the roads safer for pedestrians and cyclists in the First New Town on
- George Street
- Castle Street
- Frederick Street
- Hanover Street.
The design project builds on input from residents, businesses and interested parties and the design principles we adopted last year following a year-long trial to upgrade pedestrian and cyclist provision on George Street. We are keen to involve as many people as possible to ensure that we represent the needs and views of citizens, community groups and stakeholders in the design process.
Public drop-in events
We will hold a series of public drop-in events while the design is being developed.
Participants at the first public drop-in event held during winter 2017/ 2018 helped refine design objectives for the First New Town. The purpose of the objectives, set out below, is to help guide the development of a design for the area.
- World class place - create a world class place that respects and enhances the World Heritage Site.
- Pedestrian experience - enlarge and enhance public and pedestrian space, creating a safe, vibrant place for all
- Sustainable transport - prioritise active travel and access for people with a disability or impairment, with public parking on George Street seen as lowest priority
- Flexible space - develop an adaptable street design, in particular enabling use for appropriate events
- Vibrant for the economy - enhance the First New Town as a place where businesses can thrive
General public, residents and stakeholders feedback has also helped to identify many key considerations when developing the design. Linked to the objectives, the key considerations will also feed into our City Centre Transformation Project.
There will be many further opportunities get involved with the design process.
In August 2018 we will launch the public consultation and hold drop-in events for general public, residents and stakeholders to have their say on the first draft design for the area. We will advertise these dates as soon as we have them.
If you would like to receive project updates and information on public consultation events please email