Apply for conservation area consent

Conservation area consent

Conservation area consent is only needed if you want to demolish an unlisted building in a conservation area. Demolition will only be acceptable if the new development preserves or enhances the area.

How to apply 

You can apply for conservation area consent using the ePlanning website. To ensure you make a complete application, please read our validation guidance. There is no fee for conservation area consent.

Download validation of applications guidance (PDF, 2.04MB)

Decision and appealing

The decision letter will let you know whether your application was approved or refused. If you are unhappy with the decision you have a right to appeal. You can make an appeal through the ePlanning website. The time period for submitting an appeal is stated on the decision notice of an application.

Details of how to make an appeal and guidance material are provided on the ePlanning website.

Do you have any comments about this page?

Help us improve

  • The City of Edinburgh Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.