Report work without planning permission

  1. Reporting a possible breach of planning control (selected)
  2. The enforcement process

Reporting a possible breach of planning control

Breaches of planning control can include unauthorised changes of use of land or buildings and work being carried out without planning permission. If you are unsure, check if the work has permission

Not all work on properties requires permission - this is called permitted development. The Scottish Government website provides details on what is considered to be permitted development

Reporting a suspected breach 

The quickest way to report a suspected breach of planning control is by using our online form.

You can also write to us at the address at the bottom of this page. Please provide the following information

  • your name and address
  • the address where you believe there has been a breach
  • the date you believe the breach began
  • information about why you believe a breach has occurred.

It is also helpful if you provide your telephone number and email address. Your contact details will not be passed on but we may contact you for further information and update you on our investigations. We aim to respond to all enquiries within 10 working days.  The Planning Enforcement Charter sets this out in more detail.

Substantial unauthorised works to a listed building including the removal of features such as windows, fireplaces, doors and boundary walls should be reported immediately.

Issues which are not controlled through planning enforcement include:

Do you have any comments about this page?

Help us improve

  • The City of Edinburgh Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.