Home insulation

Insulation for private sector and Council homes

The Council is working with Home Energy Scotland to help people insulate their homes to make them warmer and cheaper to heat.

Home Energy Efficiency Programmes for Scotland: Area Based Schemes

We're now working in

  • Dumbiedykes (discussions with residents in the next phase - contractor to be confirmed)
  • West Mains (Keepmoat)
  • Moredun (Keepmoat)

These programmes are led by Changeworks and Home Energy Scotland, who will work with private owners. Where there are Council homes in these areas, works will be paid for by the Council. Eligible owners should have received a letter asking them to arrange a survey. If you're a Council tenant in one of these areas and you have questions, please email us at sfc.energy@edinburgh.gov.uk.

We're also working with Manor Estates Housing Association and their contractors, to deliver external wall insulation projects in Telford (Mitie) and Niddrie Mill (SERS Limited).

Other projects are underway with Everwarm in

  • areas where there are blocks of flats of three storeys or more
  • other areas where cavity wall insulation put in before 1980 is failing and there is no CIGA guarantee.

Homes in these areas could get a range of types of insulation, including 

  • hard to treat cavity wall insulation - if the building is higher than three storeys, the cavity is narrow, or the insulation has failed
  • cavity wall insulation
  • loft insulation - top up
  • loft insulation - new.

Get more insulation advice and information on the website, and contact Home Energy Scotland free on

0808 808 2282


Do you have any comments about this page?

Help us improve edinburgh.gov.uk

  • The City of Edinburgh Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.