Access your Council records

See information we hold about you

Under the law on data protection you have a right to ask to see information held by the Council that is about you. Asking for this information is called making a subject access request or SAR.

There is no charge for the information, and you do not have to tell us why you want to see your information.

Subject access requests must be made in writing, and include proof of who you are. This is to make sure we only release your information to those who are allowed to see it. Apply online, or download the subject access form and return it by post. You can act on behalf of someone else but you must prove you have their permission.

Make a subject access request

Find out more about asking for care records and school records.

We will reply to you as soon as possible, within 40 days. We will always give you as much information as we can. There may be times when information has to be blacked out, for example if it is about another person. If this happens we will, as far as possible, explain why.

You can find out more about your information rights on the Information Commissioner's website.

Do you have any comments about this page?

Help us improve

  • The City of Edinburgh Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.