Council records

See information we hold about you

You have a right to ask to see the information the Council holds about you. Asking for this information is called making a subject access request (SAR).

There is no charge for providing you with your information, and you do not have to tell us why you want to see your information.

We need to know who you are to make sure we only release information to the correct person. Sometimes we may ask you to provide proof of who you are so we can answer your request.

Make a subject access request online

Alternatively, download the subject access form and return it by post.

We must respond within one month, although this can be extended to three months if the information is complex. If this is the case, we will let you know and tell you why.

In providing you with your information, there may be times when information must be blacked out, for example if it is about another person. If this happens, we will explain why.

Find out more about your information rights on the Information Commissioner's website or our privacy notice.

Do you have any comments about this page?

Help us improve

  • The City of Edinburgh Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.