Access to care records

Ask for information about care leavers

If you were in care or you were looked after or boarded out in Edinburgh as a child, you have the right to see information that was collected about you.

We understand that accessing this type of information can be difficult and it is a good idea to be supported through the process. To help with this, we have made arrangements with an independent organisation called Birthlink who are able to provide support for people accessing their care records. Find out about support from Birthlink.

Use of the service is voluntary and free.

Whether or not you choose to access the Birthlink service, you can use the subject access process to request your information. You can apply online below, or can download and fill in the form and return it by post.

Please tell us if you would like to use Birthlink when you write to us or submit your form.

Do you have any comments about this page?

Help us improve

  • The City of Edinburgh Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.