Councillors' signing powers

Forms a councillor can sign

Councillors may sign documents, take declarations, confirm signatures and give certificates.


Councillors may

  • act as a witness to another person's signature on a document
  • take a written declaration
  • sign documents confirming anything that they know to be true - for example, certifying that passport photographs are a true likeness of the person, or that a document is a true copy of an original
  • sign documents expressing their opinion - for example, that someone is fit to hold a position or be granted a licence or certificate.


There is no cost for these services.

How to see your Councillor

Contact the City Chambers Reception. 

0131 529 4450

The receptionist will be able to tell you if there are any Councillors in the building available to sign.

You can also contact your own Councillor by going along to one of their surgeries.

If you don't know who your Councillor is, visit our Find your Councillors page.

Do you have any comments about this page?

Help us improve

  • The City of Edinburgh Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.