Caravan site licensing

If you have a caravan and camping site, you need a licence from us. There is no charge for this, and there are some cases where you don't need a licence. Please contact us if you need advice on caravan site licences.

You must tell us in writing if you need a new licence or want to alter an existing one. 

You can also download a form and submit it online via the UK Government website. 

We need 28 days notice, and you must have a licence before you start. There are appeal procedures where required.


The licence will have conditions covering

  • fire safety
  • types of caravan
  • where the caravans and tents are sited
  • landscaping such as planting of bushes and trees 
  • when or how many caravans you can have on site
  • provision and maintenance of toilets, showers, and other facilities, services and equipment.

Do you have any comments about this page?

Help us improve

  • The City of Edinburgh Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.