Cemeteries and burials in Edinburgh
We are responsible for managing 39 cemeteries and churchyards, including a number of Edinburgh's historic burial grounds, such as
- Old and New Calton.
- Park carefully on the tarmac road, leaving room for vehicles to pass without having to drive on the grass. The majority of the grassed areas within our cemeteries are graves. It is very upsetting for the families to see tyre marks where cars have been parked on or driven across graves.
- Leave access for the hearse when you are attending a funeral at the grave side.
Thank you for your co-operation in this matter.
Arrange a burial
When arranging a full coffin burial, it is likely that you will appoint a funeral director to carry out your wishes. Burial can take place within a new grave or in a family plot if the grave is deep enough.
Even when a grave has no further depth for full coffin burial, up to six caskets of ashes can be buried. Ashes should not be scattered on a grave.
Arrange a burial of ashes within our cemeteries either with Mortonhall Crematorium or with a funeral director.
Cemeteries where new graves are available
- Corstorphine Hill - full burial and cremated remains plots
- Craigmillar Castle Park - full burial plots, Catholic burial plots, Muslim burial plots, baby graves, cremated remains plots and green burial plots
- Currie - full burial and cremated remains plots
- Grange - cremated remains plots only
- Kirkliston - full burial plots only
- Liberton - cremated remains plots only
- Morningside - full burial and cremated remain plots
- Portobello - full burial and cremated remain plots
- Ratho - full burial plots only
- Rosebank - full burial plots only
- Saughton - full burial and cremated remains plots
- South Queensferry - full burial plots only
Waste water works
We are taking care of the waste water services in your community by carrying out essential repairs to the sewer network located in the grounds of Saughton Cemetery, Chesser Loan.
Work will start on two areas of the footpath in Saughton Cemetery on Thursday 30 of August 2018 for approximately 7 weeks.
- Works will cease when the cemetery is required for ceremonies
- Your water supply and drainage will not be affected by our work
- During the work you may notice some noise from construction equipment
- There will be full access to the cemetery during the period of work
- Please note, the works are weather dependent and therefore can be subject to change which we would notify you of
- All work areas will be reinstated upon completion of the project
- The work involves relining some areas of the existing sewer
Thank you for your patience and understanding while we complete this essential work.
If you have any questions about Scottish Water or this project, please call our Customer Helpline quoting reference Capital/501311/aBV